Saturday, July 31, 2010

Music challenge day 4 - Ready for a good cry?


Day 4 of the Music Challenge, hosted by criticalcrass at Quirky Pickings. I'm still hanging in there. Today's question? A song that makes you sad. There were three that made the cut, but Skeletons by Rickie Lee Jones is probably the song that can make me cry every time I hear it. The arrangement is gorgeous, her voice so full of emotion as to be almost unbearable. I couldn't find it in my usual source for my playlist, but I did find a beautiful video on You Tube. The lyrics are printed below.

from PIRATES

Skeletons


  • written by Rickie Lee Jones


    She was pregnant in May
    Now they're on their way
    Dashing thru the snow
    To St. John's, here we go

    Well, it could be a boy
    But it's okay if he's a girl
    Oh, these things that grow out of
    The things that we give

    We should move to the west side
    They still believe in things
    That give a kid half a chance

    When he pulled off the road
    Step in a waltz of red moonbeams
    Said he fit an APB,
    A robbery nearby

    And he go for his wallet
    And they thought he was going for a gun
    And the cops blew Bird away

    Some kids like watching Saturday cartoons
    Some girls listen to records all day in their rooms
    But what do birds leave behind,
    of the wings that they came with
    If a son's in a tree building model planes?
    Skeletons,
    Skeletons.






Blogger Templates

5 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

oh, Kat...that is a sad song! But the video...it's from "La Belle et la BĂȘte" ...Jean Cocteau's wonderful French version of Beauty and the Beast...very innovative for its time! I love the scene where he drinks water from her hand. Thanks for reminding me of one of my all time favs! Hmmm...I feel a trip to Blockbuster coming on! Hope you are having a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I can't believe this: Rickie Lee Jones has been one of my faves since the beginning of the 1980's.

It's a sad song, but a beautifully sung one. Makes the tears worth crying..

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kat, that is so sad. I havn't heard that song before. I can see why it would make anyone sad. Hope you are having a super weekend. Hugs, Marty

jenn said...

thanks for hanging in there. :]

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This is neat. I love following your song choices!

My favorite sad song is "Fields of Gold." It's not that it's sad so much as it is just packed with emotion. And I love Eva Cassidy's version, and she died so young.

XO,

Sheila