Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Plates, Farmers Market and Kitchen Wall Decor!

Shhh - go visit Dixie at http://frenchlique.blogspot.com/ to see what everyone is posting for Wordless Wednesday. The theme for this week is plates




Wednesday is also the day that we celebrate our favorite outdoor spots with Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. Make sure to visit Susan at http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com
to visit more great outdoor spaces. Thanks Susan for hosting such a fun event!

I'm fortunate to live in a great little town that hosts a Farmer's Market each week. This event has grown (no pun intended, I swear) over the past few years, and has been named one of the best in the State! What started out as a few "truck vendors" around the courthouse square has become quite an event. I really look forward to Thursday afternoons, shopping for great fresh produce, meat, bread and eggs, and visiting with neighbors.
This year the location of the market was changed to San Gabriel Park. The shade and grass are much appreciated, especially on hot afternoons. When you're done shopping, you can take a little walk along the river, catch a cool breeze and feed the ducks and geese before heading home.
It's too early for my favorite, fresh vine ripened tomatoes, but there is still some great produce to be had.
Another great produce vendor. And there is nothing better than fresh yard eggs! Recently, families that are part of the WIC program have been provided with coupons that may be redeemed at the farmers market. I think it's wonderful that this fresh produce is now available to families with children who otherwise might not have access to this type of fresh, healthy food. Good nutrition is absolutely crucial to learning and healthy growth and I applaud those who are trying to educate young mothers on proper nutrition for their families.
We now have several farmers who sell organic beef, pork and lamb. I have tried some of the beef from this vendor, and it is fabulous! I hope you enjoyed this little shopping trip. Don't forget to stop by Susan's and see what everyone else is sharing today.


Last but certainly not least, we have What's on Your Wall Wednesday, hosted by one of the most fun (and funny) ladies in blogland, Barb at Grits and Glamour. Make sure to visit her blog for some fantastic decorating, cooking, tablescaping and "crafty" ideas. I'm telling you, this gal can do it all and then some! Stop by http://gritsglamour.blogspot.com/ to see what everyone else has on their walls!


Last week, Barb encouraged us to think outside the box a bit, reminding us that wall decor could include tile, paint treatments, etc, as well as actual artwork or wall hangings.
This is my "coffee corner". Before we renovated the kitchen, this wall had a basically useless cabinet. It was located in a position that made it difficult for me to use (yes, I'm short) and made the kitchen look more closed in than I liked. With some planning we were able to add more storage without replacing that cabinet, so I simply added a shelf to hold my "morning neccessities"
The "artwork" is actually a set of notecards from Ikea, dropped into a pre-made Ikea frame. Total cost was about $15.00 and it was exactly what I wanted for this space!
The kitchen used to have very tired 70's formica countertops, and the formica extended up the wall as the "backsplash". My DH did the tile work using tumbled marble and glass tiles.
We liked the glass tile so much, that we used it exclusively behind the stove. Budget didn't allow it to be used for the entire backsplash, so this was our compromise.

Hope you enjoyed seeing some of my kitchen wall decor. Don't forget to pop over to Barb's and see what other wall treatments are posted this week.

33 comments:

Dixie said...

great plates for WW.
blessings. Dixie

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kat...Love your plates! The farmers market looks great! I'm ready for some fresh corn and tomatoes! But the best thing is the coffee center! I've had many a cup of coffee in your kitchen over at Micasa...until I discovered that everybody else was in your bathroom!! lol Ohhh...memories!! Have a great rest of the week...hugs...Debbie

Anonymous said...

Happy Wordless Wednesday! I LOVE those brown transfer ware plates! Farmer's markets are the best--always have been. So glad many more folks are seeing how great they really are. Dana

Carla said...

Three great posts! LOVE those square white plates:)

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Hey GF! You posted my fave corner in your kitchen - the coffe corner. I am loving that tile since I have been shopping for tiles for weeks. Just when I think I have found something I like, I see a pretty tile like yours and my mind goes racing in another direction. Thanks! :-D

You did good with the triple-whammo post. I loved all three, and especially seeing your plates. Yum!

Thanks for joining in WOYWW.

Hugs my friend, Barb

Terry said...

Wow I am so lucky that I came by to check out your Wordless Wednesday post .
It was just awesome .
Thank you for sharing.
I am never going to see IKEA in the same way.Thank you so much for the ideas today.
Blessings.

susan said...

We are so ready for REAL tomatoes from the farmer's market or our back yard! I love your glass tiles--that is my next project after this wedding! Great triple post!

SmilingSally said...

Love the plates, garden, and the tile.

Candy said...

Nice triple post. You got it all covered. The second 'plate' pic looks like one from the Rio Star Junque Sale. That was a fun day.
Cheers,
Candy

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Love all of your plates. Nice pictures of the farmers market. I can't wait for ours to open.

xinex said...

Hi Kathy, your plates are so pretty! I love the picture with the plate racks. And I love your coffee nook, I know how convenient it is having everything together there cause I have one too (I'll blog about it someday, you gave me the idea And I am so jealous of your market place. How lucky of you for it to be near you....Christine

Cass @ That Old House said...

GREAT Wednesday post! Transferware plate -- no words necessary!

It's too early for farmers' markets in NJ, but you've whetted my appetite (pun intended, lol).

And I love your little coffee corner! I'll be heading for IKEA soon -- I need a frame like that and haven't been able to find one.
Thanks!
Cass

Joyce said...

Nice triple!
Joyce

ellen b. said...

Love your plates and your Farmer's Market. Happy O.W. to you...

Nancy said...

YES - I do recognize the plates and I'm kicking myself for not buying those white ones! I love your coffee corner and am always amazed that you guys did all the work yourselves! Wow - you just flawlessly put those three posts together! The GT farmers market looks so inviting. I love San Gabriel park. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. Hugs, Nancy

SouthernGal said...

I love farmers markets. Ours is not nearly as bit. Best produce around (except maybe from my own garden)!

Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

Beth at Aunties said...

Enjoyed your plates and Loved seeing pictures of the farmers market. I too am glad young moms are being educated and people are making possible for families to have fresh eggs,veggies and fruit.

Beth~♥

Barbara said...

Another Texan,,,,,,what fun. You were very busy this Wednesday and I enjoyed your posting. Come back. I am checking out your posr about this weekend.

Kathysue said...

So this is where you grab your cup of coffee before we get to talk to you in the mornings. How perfect and I bet your guest love it so they can help themselves and feel right at home. I love Farmers Markets and yours looks like a great one. It always feels so good to by fresh produce from a local grower. Your little town has so much appeal to me.Maybe someday I will get to visit you there. I hope so, Hugs Kathysue

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Great plates! Great farmers market. Great coffee spot. Great tile!

Chandy said...

Lovely plates and your kitchen, too!

Deb said...

you were a busy lady this week... love it all!

Leah said...

love those plates!

Sandi (Meme) said...

Can you tell me - did your husband remove the formica off of the backsplash, or just tile over it? It looks great. We've been talking about doing this, and don't know where to start. Thanks!

Kathy said...

Great plates, Kathy - love the black and white!
Kathy

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Kathy...

What a great post...I really enjoyed it!!! Loved seeing all of your pretty plates...those white cutout plates...gorgeous! Oooh...and I just love all of the brown transferware...do you collect those?

Well my friend, I love coffee and I think your little coffee corner is fabulous!!! I think I need one at my house! Love the cute coffee cup prints...so colorful!!! Your husband did a marvelous job on that tile work...it turned out so pretty!!! Love it!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari

xinex said...

Thanks for the birthday greetings, Kathy! We are home safe and sound, just got home from Chicago tonight. Yes, we met with Janie and her hubby. Will blog about it soon!...Christine

The Raggedy Girl said...

I love those lace plates; also the glass tile looks so great. I would love to put some in my kitchen but cost may stop me. Have a wonderful day!

The Raggedy Girl

Helen said...

We have a farmer's market that runs from early June through August ..... can't wait for it to begin! Thanks for sharing yours.

Robin said...

How in the world did I miss this post? LOVE the plates! You ladies are getting me in so much trouble with the plates. Every time I come in with one (or ten), hubby keeps asking "WHAT are you going to do with THOSE?" Oh well!

I wish we had a farmer's market. We just CRAVE great, fresh foods and hand made goodies that you just can't find in Wal-Mart!

Of course, I love the tile! It almost looks just like mine! And I love how you made your own "coffee corner". Marty (my hubby) would be in Heaven!

{{{HUGS}}}}


Robin :o)

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Oh all your plates are wonderful and you have such fun little places to go! We have a farmers market here but it's pathetic compared to yours!
I like the coffee corner too but I'm trying to get off of it for health reasons! It's my favorite!

The Muse said...

I like it, very much!!!!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Sorry I am late getting around to visit... I hope you had a Happy Outdoor Wednesday....and that you will participate again soon! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan