I know I'm always preaching about getting your child involved with the arts. You can add one more reason to the list - apparently band involvement helps with self defense! Don't mess with a marching band girl, especially one armed with a baton. True story courtesy of the Associated Press:
A 17-year-old high school band student beat up two assailants who tried to mug her as she walked to school in this high desert community about 40 miles north of Los Angeles, sheriff's officials said Tuesday.
The girl punched one of the men in the nose, kicked the other in the groin and beat both with her large baton before she ran away on Friday morning, officials said.
"The moral to this story is don't mess with the marching band girls, or you just might get what you deserve," said Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Michael Rust.
He said two men approached the girl from behind, grabbed her coat and demanded money. Deputies searched near Quartz Hill High School for the muggers, looking for a man who was holding his bloodied nose and another who was limping.
No arrests have been made, but Rust said it appears the girl made her point to her assailants.
"Final score: Marching band 2, thugs 0," Rust quipped.
Told you these kids are tough! Can you imagine the story these two morons had to make up to explain their injuries? It makes me laugh just thinking about it! I posted a link to this story on my facebook page and Cait's high school band director commented "Classic - sounds like something Cait would do!" You betcha!
Another reason to encourage involvement in the arts is the love of classical music that will flourish. Follow this link to see what I mean. Warning: there are a few swear words toward the end, but nothing horrendous.
And finally, the most compelling reason of all. If your child is involved in the arts, he or she will not grow up to write the following notes to their children's teacher! I received this via E-mail today. I think I killed my spell check with this one!
I promise you cannot read these without laughing out loud. These are real notes written by parents in the Memphis school district. Spellings (or misspellings) have been left intact.
1. My son is under a doctor's care and should not take PE today. Please execute him.
2. Please exkuce lisa for being absent she was sick and i had her shot.
3. Dear school: please ecsc's john being absent on jan. 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and also 33.
4. Please excuse gloria from jim today. She is administrating.
5. Please excuse roland from p.e. for a few days. Yesterday he fell out of a tree and misplaced his hip.
6. John has been absent because he had two teeth taken out of his face.
7. Carlos was absent yesterday because he was playing football. He was hurt in the growing part.
8. Megan could not come to school today because she has been bothered by very close veins.
9. Chris will not be in school cus he has an acre in his side.
10. Please excuse ray friday from school. He has very loose vowels.
11. Please excuse Lesli from being absent yesterday. She had diahre dyrea direathe...the shits.
12. Please excuse tommy for being absent yesterday. He had diarrhea, and his boots leak.
13. Irving was absent yesterday because he missed his bust.
14. Please excuse jimmy for being. It was his father's fault.
15. I kept Billie home because she had to go Christmas shopping because i don't know what size she wear.
16. Please excuse jennifer for missing school yesterday. We forgot to get the sunday paper off the porch, and when we found it monday. We thought it was sunday.
17. Sally won't be in school a week from friday. We have to attend her funeral.
18. My daughter was absent yesterday because she was tired. She spent a weekend with the marines.
19. Please excuse Jason for being absent yesterday. He had a cold and could not breed well.
20. Please excuse mary for being absent yesterday. She was in bed with gramps.
21. Gloria was absent yesterday as she was having a gangover.
22. Please excuse brenda. She has been sick and under the doctor
23. Maryann was absent december 11-16, because she had a fever, sorethroat, headache and upset stomach. Her sister was also sick, fever an sore throat, her brother had a low grade fever and ached all over. I wasn't the best either, sore throat and fever. There must be something going around, her father even got hot last night.
24. I'm sorey I hit Mary with a snowball yestrday. I was an accident.