Sunday, September 25, 2011

Saturday Centus - Banned

Hello! I'm back this week to join my favorite group of writers for Saturday Centus. I finally have a minute or two to breathe and thought it would be fun to visit Jenny Matlock and see what she had cooked up this week. What did I find? A challenge that almost made me turn tail and run away until next week. Normally Jenny gives us a fun little prompt and 100 words to write a story using the prompt exactly as written. This week she was feeling generous and gave us 150 words. Nice, right? But EVERY STINKING WORD has to be written in dialogue! That's right, my least favorite thing to write. So here goes nothing folks. Make sure to visit Jenny and read what much more creative souls than I have come up with. You won't be disappointed. And Jenny leaves the link up for an entire week, so you have plenty of time to come up with your own tale and join us!



"Sorry I'm late. Problems at work today and it got a bit ugly"
" Please don't tell me you got into it with that protest group again"
"Yep. Showed up at the end of the day, demanding that I remove 30 books from the shelves. Of course I refused. Almost had to call the police!"
"Just take the damn books down, hide them or something. It's not worth all this hassle. We can't afford for you to lose your job over this"
"I promise you, if I give them this, they will be back for more. I cannot let a bunch of narrow minded dolts tell me what books are appropriate for my students. Good Lord, they want me to remove To Kill A Mockingbird! And the Harry Potter books. Those books are the only things that got some of these kids interested in reading at all!"
"What are you doing? Are you seriously ordering another Martini?"

Postscript: It's Banned Books Week. Visit ALA to find out more about this event. And click this link to find a list of the most commonly challenged/banned books. It's a real eye opener http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedclassics/index.cfm

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

23 comments:

Deborah said...

Banning book should be...um..banned! :o) Great SC!

Judie said...

OMG!! Don't get me started!!! This is a very timely take on the prompt!! Brava!!

Ames said...

I'll have to check out that list.
So hey, why is everyone freaking out about ordering another martini? Don't tell me...teachers don't drink huh?:)~Ames

cj Schlottman said...

Banned Books Week? I'm clicking over there as soon as I say to you that this dialogue is very good, very good indeed. It's good to challenge one's self from time to time by writing outside one's comfort zone.

Bravo!

Namaste..........cj

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

great centus i will have to check out that link

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Another one of your great little pieces, Kat! And some great commentary as a cherry on top! I looked at your list. It seems I need to be arrested for having read most of the top ten! lol Hope you are having a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Rek Sesh said...

This well done centus resonates with us here where any book hurting any section's sentiments especially religion or social structure faces a ban. The ban by the democratic government no less which depends on votes to stay around.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I had no idea To Kill A Mockingbird is on that list. That's atrocious. I love this, Kat. Great way to address such an important issue.
xoRobyn

jabblog said...

Censorship is frightening. Any attempt to mould minds in a particular way is doomed to failure. Closed minds are dangerous minds.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Amazing, I checked out the link. It doesn't surprise me. Classics! Even if I don't like the subject matter, you should be able to read whatever you want. Thanks for the post.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'll never forget when we were supposed to read CATCHER IN THE RYE in high school, and some parents had a fit. My mother MADE me read it, but I already had. They were upset over the "f" word which their kids said on a daily basis. ;-) It's always the parents with the worst kids who make the most noise. Ever notice that???

Good to see you!

XO,

Sheila

Viki said...

It is so against everything I believe to ban books. I never even knew there was a week for it, ha. Great centus.

Dazee Dreamer said...

very, very good. and banned books. makes me so mad that I want to run up to those protesters and hurt them.

themajessty said...

It's sad but true - Harry Potter and Twilight are the only thing that teenagers read these days...unless you count assigned books.

Thank goodness I enjoy reading classics and I have not abandoned them yet.

Susan Anderson said...

Dialogue may not be your favorite, but you are VERY good at it.

And I support your theme, too.

=)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Great job Kat! The economy these days makes it hard to stand up for something we believe in if it might lead to the loss of a job. This is such an appropriate post, and I think it calls for a martini! laurie @ Battling My Inner Critic

Tgoette said...

Awesome job, Kat! I loved your topic for this week! It always rankles me when self-righteous religious zealots try to step in and impose their fanatical views on the rest of us. Nicely done!

Bethe77 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethe77 said...

I really liked this write and it is a fun mix. Sad about banning reading matrial but a good drink is always relaxing after a good debute about it.
Blessings

K&B by the Sea said...

I don't know why you don't like writing dialogue - you did a great job!

I haven't read too many of the books on the banned list, but I was really surprised to see Call of the Wild on it. Banning books is stupid - everyone should be entitled to read whatever they want. If somebody is offended by a book, then just don't read it!

Jenny said...

Gosh! I would have no idea you didn't like writing dialogue...I have been reading all the links out loud this week and this was great!

Super subject matter and really believable wording!

Thanks for sharing this. It is a subject that so many of us feel fiercely about!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

CHRISTmas Blessings from my mountain top to your home…May it be the best one ever..Hugs and Love Gloria.

Bonnie said...

Hi Kat, hope you are well and celebrating the holiday with your loved ones!

Merry Christmas, Bonnie