Sunday, February 20, 2011

Saturday Centus - Earworm

Well friends and neighbors, it's Saturday Centus time once again. Time to tank up on lots of coffee and come up with a nifty little story of 100 words or less based on a prompt provided by Jenny Matlock at Off On My Tangent. Jenny has thrown us a another curve ball this week. The prompt is a line from a current popular song. A song that I hear at least 15 times a day while commuting to and from work. A song that drives me around the bend. So thanks Jenny, for getting "Catch a Grenade for Ya" stuck in my head. On the weekend, when I don't normally have to hear it. What a pal! Make sure to stop by Jenny's and visit all the links. The stories are short, so you can easily read them all. And you don't want to miss any of them. These Centusians have some pretty amazing writing chops! Jenny generously leaves the link live all week, so you've got plenty of time to join us. But I will warn you, once you start doing this it's really hard to stop! This week's prompt is in bold italics.


She'd been on this road forever. The winter landscape was flat and barren, with only an occasional mule deer or buzzard breaking the monotony. Hadn't seen another car in hours. The radio picked up two stations. One playing Top 40, the other some right wing talk show spewing vitriol like an evil Old Faithful. Click. "I'd catch a grenade for ya..." She'd heard that song at least 10 times since leaving Austin. She'd like to find that band, send them a grenade! Click. Silence. "throw my hand on a blade for ya, yeah, yeah, yeah..." She would never get that silly song out of her head!











I'd catch a grenade for ya...

20 comments:

Judie said...

A woman after my own heart! Two radio stations! We have experienced that driving from Tucson to Atlanta. I think the talk radio is worse, and I totally agree with you! The poor suckers who buy into that vitriol just can't understand that these guys are only doing it for all the money they make.
As for the Top 40? Well, I'm just glad I have a cd player.
Your did a wonderful job setting the mood in your piece. Good job!

Rek Sesh said...

I totally sympathise....radio music can be at times yuck....liked your story ...did she throw the grenade then?? :)

Gems said...

So you really want to do that eh? Me too. Some songs get so overplayed. Have to admit I had not listened to this one much until Jenny gave it to us...now I have it stuck in my head too...

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh my, Kat! I must be an old fuddy duddy! I don't know that song! Now I'll have to listen...sounds interesting...at least for the first time! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kat, I always feel like I'm right there when I read your stories. You definitely paint a picture in the most realestic ways. Reminds me of the drive I use to make years ago leaving Denver heading east. Nothing. Hope you're having a super weekend. Hugs, Marty

Nancy Jane said...

You've made it so easy to be sympathetic towards your character. Really admire the mood of monotony you create at the beginning. So well done...

Nonna said...

This is so real and an imaginative painting of the scene and experience ! I have had songs that I couldn't stand sticking in my mind for days and it makes me crazy...Very nice job !!!

cj Schlottman said...

Kat, I love the way you set up this piece. I could almost feel the wheels of the car in motion. "... only an occasional mule deer or buzzard" is very visual. Your analogy of the right wingers spewing vitriol and Old Faithful is perfect! Thanks for stopping by to read my little story,

Namaste..........cj

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I like your silly, fun take on this prompt. I don't blame her, especially given the circumstances. Nicely written.
xoRobyn

xinex said...

The situation sounds so familiar especially driving in the boonducks. But is that really a song, Kat?..Christine

e said...

Funny and clever Kat! I have really enjoyed all the light hearted humourous stories this prompt has delivered.
Nicely done as always!
~Michelle

Ames said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
21 Wits said...

finally almost just like my thought with this prompt...and I was fearing more would tread these waters. This is very cool!

Ames said...

I din't understand the song and took my inspiration elsewhere. I like your use of the prompt though!~Ames.

Unknown said...

Dear Kat,
Great centus! I love the way you set the mood; your descriptions are wonderful! Monotony driving in a boring landscape and no pleasant company from listening to the radio!

I have never heard this song (living in Sweden), but my guess is that I should be thankful that I am spared!
I hate the prompt! But I have read almost every post (and soon with have read them all) and there are some amazing writers in our little band of participants. So the texts are worth reading, even if the song may not be worth hearing.

Maybe next week's prompt will be more fun. Write Jenny an e-mail and give her some suggestions for prompts. I have done it. I gave her a long list. Give her five or ten possible prompts and maybe she will pick out one of them.

Thank you for your kind words about my SC-post!

Best wishes & hugs,
Anna
For the benefit of other readers:
Anna's SC week 42 Maisy-Jane

Anna's AT-S, S is for Swedish Summer in books

Bookie said...

Nice use of the prompt with song itself! Good...

jeff campbell said...

That happens all too often...well written and clever take...Peace and blessings

Donna Volkenannt said...

Very nice job. Great description and characterization in so few words.
Donna V.

K&B by the Sea said...

I can think of a few bands I'd like to toss a grenade at! ;-) And don't you hate it when you get a song in your head and it won't go away - especially when it's a song that you don't even like!

Another great little story, Kat :-)

Jenny said...

That line about the blade always makes me laugh.

It's really a funny song, but there's something about the rhythm of it that just grabs me.

I generally make up even more insane lyrics just to drive my husband crazy (ier!)

You really rose to this difficult challenge...the hard word, the use of 'ya'...

I liked where you took this.