Sunday, November 28, 2010

Saturday Centus - Writer's Block


It's Saturday Centus time again boys and girls! Remember how you used to look forward to Saturday morning cartoons? Well, Jenny Matlock at Off On My Tangent is my "grown up" version! Our lovely host Jenny provides us with a prompt, and we write a story of 100 words or less exclusive of the prompt. It sounds easier than it is, but it's a great way to stretch your editing muscles and your imagination. Jenny leaves the link live all week, so you've got plenty of time to come up with a nice little tale to share. Because the stories are so short, I get to visit every link. And I'm glad, because Jenny's mad little band of Centusians is one talented group!

This week, another curve ball. In Jenny's words:
This week we have a unique prompt supplied by Clearspace...a regular contributor to SC. Here are the instructions for this week: This weeks prompt writing will be one with a twist. You know those horoscopes in newspapers? One of those will be your new prompt. Pick one randomly from a paper or a website and write a story <100>

The horoscope that I chose is in bold font.

A favorite hobby or skill takes priority this morning and occupies your mind until you eat your next meal. Your many interests may include reading, trains, dolls, model building, miniatures, etc. There may be an opportunity to attend an art show this afternoon, perhaps a public showing of collections and hobbies. You will enjoy being with some of your friends that have the same sort of hobby interest as you. Working with hobbies is a wonderful way to get to know someone better. A common interest in spiritual values among family members may occur as well. You happily involve yourself in many conversations with great people today. You may be called upon to settle a debate this evening. You know just how to direct the conversation.

The scent of coffee wafting through the air roused her before the alarm. Thank God for automatic coffeepots. Throwing the twisted blankets aside, she slid out of bed and stumbled into the kitchen. Fired up the laptop, and just for grins, checked her horoscope. What a crock. She hadn't written anything in weeks. Her muse had skipped town, taken the last train out without so much as a goodbye. Sighing, she opened her unfinished manuscript and was shocked to feel herself falling down that familiar rabbit hole. Eight hours later, her rumbling stomach called her back to reality. She smiled.

Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

28 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I've been through this just having to write a comment! That was one detailed horoscope. You did a great job as always, Kat!

XO,
Jane

Cheryl said...

Sheer brilliance, Kat! Loved this to death.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kat, your imagination just amazes me. You are so talented. I always want to hear more. This one was a tough one and you did a fabulous job. Hope you have a super day. Love ya, Hugs, Marty

Judie said...

All it takes is one little spark! Well done,Kat!

Viki said...

I loved this sooo much. You always have such a wonderful way with words. I'm happy the muse returned.

Shellbelle said...

This was a difficult prompt, but I am not surprised you managed to rise to the occasion!

You know I've been trying to get back into the swing of things so I had to read back for the previous two SCs. Loved them both, but the one about jumping in the newly-raked leaves? Oh honey, I loved it!

Kathysue said...

Kat oh how you have a way with words. The one thing about all your writings you always leave me wanting more. That is what I call a great author!! Kathysue

Ames said...

Horoscopes plants mind seeds. This was a great take on yours!~Ames

cj Schlottman said...

Your muse is with you, Kat! This is so creative and well done. I LOVE your writing.

Thanks for a great centus.......cj

Anonymous said...

You enter capturing my imagination and you exit leaving me wanting more. Consistently. You are a darn good writer :)

xinex said...

I love it, Kat. You are so imaginative and have an excellent writing skill...Christine

Tina said...

you did really well with the long horoscope. I think I would have chose another! lol ... good for you and nice story :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, I love this, Kat! I am picturing YOU in your kitchen working at your laptop...although I know you don't have a whole day to lose yourself in since you are such a busy person! lol Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Tina said...

Nice. Hate it when that muse leaves!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Good job, Kat! I would never be able to craft a story out of a horoscope...mine or any others! You ahve a wonderful way with words!

Susan Anderson said...

Good job, Kat! I had too many guests this week to get the Centus done, but you represented well!

=)

xiao said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracy said...

your such a good writer better late than never

K&B by the Sea said...

Fun story :-) I like how you incorporated the horoscope into it in a sort of not-so-obvious way :-)

Unknown said...

Good job!
I thought this was a tough one to do. Almost gave up.
I took away my first attempt at this, in case you tried to visit my post and found that it was not accessable. But it's working now. I have finally finished writing a Centus for week 30.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC wk 30

Unknown said...

Good job!
I thought this was a tough one to do. Almost gave up.
I took away my first attempt at this, in case you tried to visit my post and found that it was not accessable. But it's working now. I have finally finished writing a Centus for week 30.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC wk 30

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Kat, obviously YOUR muse is still around. Great job! laurie

Vittle me this... said...

I loved this! great job!

Anonymous said...

Great! You find quite the horoscope to work with, and you did it justice!

Teresa

Tgoette said...

Great job with this, Kat! I could almost smell the coffee! LOL!

gautami tripathy said...

You did so well.

I am Aries. I wrote ripples depicting that!

Jenny said...

Kat! You are amazing.

It isn't my stomach that usually breaks my writing trance. It is my butt. Because it gets all numb and then I wake up and realize a lot of time has passed!

This was really an incredible use of a difficult prompt.

Do we all get autographed copies of your first book?

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Excellent writing as always. The horoscope made me laugh. When I was in my early 20's, I had a friend who wrote the horoscopes for a local paper. We all used to sit around at parties on Friday nights and make that stuff up for his next post. Makes ya wonder.