Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday Centus - An Unusual Homecoming

Time once again to get those creative juices flowing and join Jenny Matlock for Saturday Centus. Our lovely hostess provides us with a prompt, and we then struggle to write a story that thrills, amazes and uplifts. In 100 words or less. Try it sometime, it's not as easy as you might think. Especially if you were vaccinated with a phonograph needle, as I apparently was. Anyway, on to this week's prompt, provided by our very own Tom at Sophisticated Lunacy. A nice LONG prompt this week. Tom gets his revenge for all those torn up babies :) You have to read this post to understand that last statement. Go ahead, I'll wait. Ok, now you get it!

Here is my contribution for week 12. The prompt is in bold font.


Driving six hours is a long time on the road. Six hours spent singing car-aoke and taking in the picturesque scenery, but mostly reminiscing about the good times. But those days were long gone and my mind was in a different place now. Or was it? My pulse quickened as I passed the road sign which read "Medford 27 miles."

Glancing at my watch, a shiny silver reminder of the normal life I'd just left behind. I should make it to that cursed place well before sundown.

Funny, I had always loved sunsets, as if God was painting that giant canvas just for me, with brilliant, broad strokes that evoked awe and wonder. Now, nothing but dread at the thought of that burning orb dropping below the horizon.

A quick check to make sure the supplies were hidden. That silver stake would surely raise questions.

Slowly exiting the highway, to finish what had been left undone too many years before.

22 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh oh oh!!! There are vampires in Medford? Sounds like such a peaceful little town! Love your new blog dress! I always love that photo! Hope you are having a great weekend...hugs...Debbie

Tina said...

I had not expected vampires in Medford! Cool idea.

mrs. c said...

Great discription! I can see it in my mind's eye! The Saturday Centus is difficult for me, be I enjoy reading others and your s was terrific! Tell your daughter that the pickles were by far the easiest thing I made. Slice the cucumbers, put in ice water for a couple of hours, put in the jars with a little garlic and dill seed, then pour on the brine.Hope you have a great weekend.

cj Schlottman said...

Yikes! Not only is your prose akin to poetry, but your imagination is working overtime. The stake caught me completely off guard after the smooth readable words leading up to it.

Thanks for this one..........cj

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Boy, I should have been vaccinated with that phonograph needle. You do such a wonderful job of creating an image in the mind. I could just see the road and the sky. Great job. Also, I love your new header pic. It is such a stunning photo. Hope you have a super day. Hugs, Marty

Bookie said...

Yes, stake surprised me too, a dark ending.Isn't interesting how so many writers took this prompt as driving into something dark, full of dread? Not many drove into happiness or job...find that thought provoking....

Bookie said...

Job should have been joy in that last comment!

Tgoette said...

Bravo! This was excellent writing! I'm so impressed with the direction you took the prompt this week! How clever of you!

I'm a bit dumbstruck by all the whining about how the long prompt was too hard and stifled their creativity, then I read yours and all the other wonderful stories submitted this week and can't see for the life of me where it did!

You did a truly awesome job!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Wow - great story - you are so creative and a wonderful writer! Linda

Viki said...

I don't suppose your going to stake up some tomato plants, lol? What an interesting and surprising way to go with this. I would have never thought of this. However, with the popularity of vampire books/movies/tv shows I don't know why I should be surprised. I LOVED this and you gave just enough info. Good job.

Cheryl said...

Dynamite! And I love the new look of your blog.

Life@Cee said...

Wow, I'm captivated. Loved your sunset descriptions.
Cee

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Kat...

Ohhh...I hung on every word, my friend! What a gift you have...to paint a picture with your words! Thank you!!!

I just wanted to stop by to say thank you for coming by and taking a peek at my Tea Rose bedroom! I really enjoyed your visit and sweet note! Thank you!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

PS...was just wondering if any of your writing has ever been published? I would love to read it if so!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Move over Twilight...we have a new and better vampire story in the works!

Wonderful job, Kat! You really turn these prompts into the beginnings of wonderful stores.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh No! I want the rest of the story!Kat, you are soooo good at this! I love reading your mini stories. laurie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I got so carried away with the story, I forgot to tell you that I love that photo in your header. Your blog looks great. laurie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

DO I detect vampires??? EEEEEEEE!

XO,

Sheila :-)

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Mystery! Intrigue! Revenge! The plot thickens and I LOVE IT!

linda said...

I take it you know Medford?
LOL......
A lot of creepiness going on...great.

jfb57 said...

Fabulous! Wonderful description of the rainbow & SOoooo creepy! Brill!

Jenny said...

Creepy, wonderful. I may never be able to return to Medford again, though, now!

You and Stephen King with Salem's Lot! I can see you two meeting someday to discuss the macabre!

Great use of the prompt!

I'm impressed.

Tina said...

oooh a vampire story i like it. not sure if i could visit medford after this haha ;)

Tina from
Mummy Diaries
Gossip Avenue
Travel Shack
Game FreakZ