Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday Centus - It Takes a Thief

Time for Saturday Centus. One of my very favorite weekly events, hosted by Jenny Matlock at Off On My Tangent. This is a great weekly meme that forces us to tighten our writing and learn what really makes a story work. We are given a writing prompt, and then build a story around it using 100 words or less.

Did I say this was my favorite? Well, until this week it was. Ms. Jenny decided to shake things up a bit. This week we get 200 words. I've had comments saying they wanted more than 100 words, so our wish has been granted. But you know the old saying "be careful what you wish for"? Truer words were never spoken. Because this week, we have to write our story in the style of a Harlequin Romance! WHAT? I've never read a romance novel in my life. As I told Jenny, not even when I was a lovestruck teenager. The closest I've gotten would be The Thorn Birds. Oh come on, admit it, you've read it too. So anyway, here goes nothing. This week's prompt

When I turned around I was startled to meet a green-eyed gaze..."

Here's my take on it

I crept slowly down the ink black hall, my eyes finally adjusting to the gloom. My rubber soled shoes made no sound. If I was caught, there was no reasonable way to explain my presence at this hour.

I had been sent by a man I'd met only once. His intensity and passion woke something in me that had lain dormant too long. The mission was perilous, but the prize too precious to ignore.

But where was it? Suddenly, I heard a whisper of sound behind me.
When I turned around I was startled to meet a green-eyed gaze....there it was, in all it's glory. The portrait that had been missing for so long, stolen from my contact's family by the Nazis so many years ago. I quickly cut the canvas from the gaudy frame, rolling it carefully and stashing it in my messenger bag.

Running down the rain slick street, I imagined the reception I would receive. My heart racing, I burst into his apartment, glowing with victory. His arms opened and I tumbled into them, knowing full well where this was leading. As I gazed into his green eyes, the same eyes that stared at me from the portrait, I knew that I would risk everything for this man.



Ok Jenny, are you happy? Make sure to stop by and read all the links, I think you will find some of them very, um, interesting! I almost skipped this week, but the prize is truly too good to miss (thank you Miss Coralei) And besides, once a challenge is laid down, I'm darn sure going to attempt it. Sorry if this wasn't "chest heaving" enough, but this was the best I could come up with! And judging from some of the comments, the theme next week might need to be a "cozy" murder mystery. Poor Jenny! Sigh...

26 comments:

easternsparkle said...

Are you sure you don't read romance??lol - great take on this prompt!!

jfb57 said...

I really enjoyed this. You should not have woirried that you would not comeup to Miss M's high standards!

Cheryl said...

Great JOB! I love the twist. And the complete lack of heavy breathing.

Tina said...

That was great! I love those romantic-peril-adventure books. I'd love to read more of this one.

Jenny said...

I love this! Amazing. And there might be some bodice ripping in gratitude happening next...we'll have to use our imagination.

This was so cool.

My favorite line was: The mission was perilous, but the prize too precious to ignore.

You did great! Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I love it, Kat! And yes...I did read The Thornbirds! (That scene in the shearing house...sigh!) lol I am no reader of romance novels either, but you did a great job! I mostly like to read books where the characters eat out...a lot! Preferably French food! Have a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kat, you amaze me. You always write the best stories and leave me wanting to hear the rest. A little intrigue and romance all at once. Great story. Hugs, Marty

Bookie said...

This was a very good story but a light prompt...and not a bit of bodice ripping!

Susan Anderson said...

Oh, I liked this!...Even if there wasn't any bodice ripping. (I didn't go there, either.) My readers are far too highbrow for that.

heehee

;)

Sami said...

WOW! You really took this in a great way! I love the mystery and the spy theme... definitely a book I would read. :)

DesignTies said...

I've never read a harlequin Romance or The Thorn Birds. But I have to admit that I did read The Bridges of Madison County. It was a gift, I felt obligated!!

Great story -- amazing how much you can convey in 200 words!! "The man" isn't Fabio, is it?! ;-)

I have to remember to take a shot at this meme one of these weeks.

Kelly

P.S. I'm not a big fan of cold or snow either, but it would feel SO good right about now!!

Terra said...

oh, you did good! I am kind of wishing I would have spent more time on it now - hmmm, NAH! Anyway, it turned out to be a fun week to read!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Cat, you are so good at this. I thoroughly enjoyed your story!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Deb said...

you did a great job....

Unknown said...

Ooooh! I enjoyed this very much! You did quite well. And yes, I read The Thorn Birds as well.

Vicki/Jake said...

OoOo a little intrigue along with the much desired prize...
Love it!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Romance and intrigue! Fabulous!

jeff campbell said...

Cool Kat ;-) Very well written indeed...Thanks for the Newton Reflections...Peace and blessings

Tgoette said...

Great job, Kat! Lots of intrigue and suspense! You make it look so easy!

cj Schlottman said...

Kat,
Great take! The hint of danger sets the stage so well for the final scene.

..........cj Schlottman

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

A romance novel with a twist of mystery! Good job as alwasy, Kat! Jenny is certainly shaking things up a little. I don't know how she keeps up with all the meme's she hosts..she is a marvel!

DesignTies said...

HaHaHa! I loved this little snippet of a story, Kat! Nope. No biddice tearing... but the unspoken narrative (i.e., my imagination [dirty mind?!]!) totally lead me there ;-)

Yep... I KNEW you'd know what project I'd finally finished!! Thanks so much for your continued support, and for not being annoyed at me for taking so long to complete these stupid drapes! Ha!

Let me know when Harlequin Romance publishes your Green Eyed Fantasy novel... I'll be the first to buy it!

Victoria

DesignTies said...

Oops... that should be bodice! I got so excited at the prospect that my typing finger slipped ;-)

xinex said...

You could have fooled me, Kat. This is too good to have just come out of nowhere, lol.....Christine

Tina said...

uw secret agent eh? I like how you used the prompt for a portrait of someone instead of an actual person. Nice!

Tina from
Mummy Diaries
Gossip Avenue
Travel Shack
Game FreakZ

Shellbelle said...

Your so creative and as the word count increases, I know they'll be some short stories here soon enough. I'd say enough for a small book, don't y0ou think?

Listen, I'm waiting to hear how the Rockport Festival went. Did it turn out to be all you wanted? Do tell!