Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wordless Wednesday and Outdoor Wednesday

It's Wednesday, so that can mean only one thing! Time for another edition of Wordless Wednesday, hosted by Miss Dixie at French Lique. This week's subject is "blogger's choice" and I'm so happy that I finally got to share these. There is quite a story behind them, but as this is Wordless Wednesday, I thought it would be fun if you made up your own! Use your imagination! Then make sure to visit Dixie at http://frenchlique.blogspot.com/ to see who else is participating. Dixie has a great blog, full of great ideas and her wonderful wit. You won't want to leave French Lique, Texas!




Now let's pop in on Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday. Susan hosts this fun weekly event so that we can showcase our favorite outdoor pictures. Make sure to visit her beautiful blog at http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/ to see everyone's post for this week. Spring is finally arriving and I'll bet there are some beautiful pictures. Make sure to stay awhile and browse around Susan's blog, it's wonderful! And for all of you readers out there, she has started a companion blog "A Southern Daydreamer Reads". Make sure to check it out, it's going to be fun and interesting to see what everyone has on their bookshelves (and on their nightstands, and everywhere else!)


If you saw my Sunday post, you saw a little tease for this one. Darling Cait, Sis and I spent part of the day at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. Join me on a little tour of this jewel of a place.
Let's stroll through the gardens and see what is blooming right now . . .
My favorite, the bluebonnet, state flower of Texas and harbinger of spring . .
Just look how gorgeous they are in mass. If you've ever seen a highway roadside covered in masses of these, you will never forget the sight. If you click to enlarge this picture, you will see a few early Indian Paints blooming in the middle.
Some early blooming little wildflowers - aren't they just dainty and cute?
I have no idea what the yellow climber is, but it's so pretty. And I'm pretty sure that the small tree being trained is a wild flowering plum, but I could be wrong . . .
Yes, more bluebonnets. I told you they were my favorite! This is just one of the many paths that meander throughout this gorgeous facility.
There are spring fed streams that run throughout, the sound is so soothing and really makes you feel cooler on a warm day.
I thought this was such a pretty mix of native Texas plants. Mother nature really is the best designer, don't you think? Blue and yellow are so pretty together.
Coral honeysuckle. Just beautiful, and the smell is divine.
Even the turtles love it here! I hope you enjoyed this little tour. There is so much to see here that there is no way I could do it justice. If you are lucky enough to find yourself in Central Texas, you really should visit. This truly is an amazing place. I admire Lady Bird Johnson so much for her commitment to the beautification of not only her beloved state of Texas, but the entire United States. In the words of this grand lady "We are obligated to leave the country looking as good if not better than we found it" Well said, dear lady.

40 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I love bluebonnets, such a pretty flower!

Dixie said...

Smokey the bear says "please do not feed nor taunt the bears while looking at the wildflowers... "...
beautiful. Dixie

Sue said...

I just adore bluebonnets, and honeysuckle has a fragrance that can not be matched. especially when sitting outside in the evening. Thank you for sharing.
Blessing.
Sue

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Kathy! Oh my, I LOVE the bear! And the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center pictures are a real treat! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

Martha said...

I love bluebonnets and they are so "Texas" -- I pretty sure that the little tree is a redbud -- not a plum.

momma said...

hehe! i wonder what the bear was thinking :)

Anonymous said...

I think I read the lips on that bear! I'm pretty sure he said, "Ya got any chunky peanut butter?" :)

Great photos! Happy Wednesday! Dana

ellen b. said...

I loved your tour! So much promise for Spring. Happy O.W. to you!

Candy said...

I can bearly believe it. Too close for me!
And it has been a looong time since I have visited the Wildflower center.
My son was 4 or 5 and they had the BIG BUGS on display.
Fun Day, Candy

Jill said...

Happy WW! I love the bear pic. I am an animal lover!!!!!!! I wish I was the one in the car as long as my window was up. lol

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Yipers! That bear is a little too close. Love the bluebonnets.

Nancy Wyatt said...

Great Pics! On my drive home I see so many bluebonnets! They make me so happy this time of year! Don't you love seeing all our Texas Wildflowers along the highways! Hugs from Conroe TX! Stop by my blog if you get a chance, I'm having a giveaway!

xinex said...

Pretty bluebonnets and all the other pictures are beautiful too, Kathy. I would be scared if that bear came near my car!...Christine

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kat...Love your new header! The bluebonnets are gorgeous! And the bears are mighty cute!...hugs...Debbie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kat, that bear looks a little close for me. lol What an amazing picture. I love the Blue Bonnets. They are also my favorite, but the whole place is just gorgeous. Thanks for the pics. Hugs, Marty

Nancy said...

The bear!!!Oh my gosh!!!
The Bluebonnets...Oh my gosh!!!
The Wildflower Center...oh my gosh I've got to go again!

Kathy said...

Beautiful gardens!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I think Smokey the Bear was hunting food...and he looked like he spied something

Anonymous said...

As much as how adorable the bear is, I think I'd be scared to have him so near! :-)

Love the tour. Enjoyed the cute flowers and the streams. Thanks :-)

Happy outdoor Wednesday!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

pretty bluebonnets and yikes at the bear..

Happy WW

Linda C said...

Pretty, pretty flowers! Scary, scary bear:)

Great photos!

Happy WW!

Linda C

ClassyChassy said...

Great photos! Happy WW!

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Thanks for stopping by! I agree with Marty....the bears are much too close. After being in Alaska and seeing them from afar (one was digging in a garbage can at the B&B we were staying at)eating leftovers, I decided that's the closest I'd ever want to be! The photos of them are wonderful though! I enjoyed the stroll through LJW Center again! Have a great day! Luanne

Deb said...

I love the bear photos no words needed, I'm so excited the bluebonnets are coming up here also, I just did a post with Ladybird and the wildflowers, looks like you had a great day, I need to go visit there sometime, thanks for stopping by

Lynda said...

Yikes! That bear would render anyone 'wordless'!! Love the bluebonnets!

Shirley said...

I used to live in PA where there are a lot of black bears. It wasn't unusual to see a Mom and her cubs strolling down the street. I even saw them try to pry the screen off windows to get inside someone's house. There were even stories about them actually getting inside a house if they smelled food. One woman had a pie cooling on her kitchen counter and a bear tore the screen door and got in. She came into the kitchen from the back of the house to see what the noise was and there he was, devouring her pie.

Chandy said...

I agree!!! Great pictures to cherish and reminisce by...

Anonymous said...

Oh do I love our wonderful blue-bonnets.I saw a bunch this week-end too.They are alwways so lovely.For those that don't know since they're our state flower the state workers spread seed along the hiways every year so all along the roadways you'll see them in the early spring.Some patches are so dense it takes your breath with their beauty.
Ans i love that pond.So lovely,...Ann

Leah said...

Wow - that's a big bear!

I'd love to hear you post the story sometime!

Happy Wordless Wednesday! :)

Anne Fannie said...

Loved all your pictures, the bear pictures are great!
~Ann

Jadehollow said...

Thanks for the tour.. love the sunning turtles.
Have a Blessed Wednesday.
Debbie

The Muse said...

Bears are such curious creatures...glad you met a CALM one :) Nice flower shots too...Hurrah For Lady Bird...she did so much to beautify our roadways!

Melissa Miller said...

Great photos today Kathy!

Look at the sweet black bear. I hope we get to hear that story soon.

~Happy Spring and OW! :)

Bo said...

Fantastic post today Kathy! I enjoyed all of your great photos! ;- Bo

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Kathy...these photos are just beautiful girl...thanks for sharing..hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Light and Voices said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe a bear came that close to your car. I would still be hiding. Great photographs of the flowers and the bear.
Joyce

Robin said...

YIKES!!!! to the bear photos! The garden photos are absolutely beautiful!!!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Robin :o)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I'm glad that wasn't my car the bear was climbing on! Wonderful garden tour. I also love the Bluebonnets. laurie

Charlene said...

Your bluebonnets in Austin are further along than ours. We got some rain today & so needed it! We are past dry up here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Thanks for sharing Lady Birds love & for stopping by to see me.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Thanks for stopping by Kat and I sure wish you were here so we could have a piece of pie together. Hugs, Marty