Sunday, February 8, 2009

Metamorphosis Monday

Welcome to Metamorphosis Monday, graciously hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. Make sure to visit Susan at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ to see a list of this week's participants. There are some really great before and after ideas to be found at this event. And if you haven't visited Susan before, you will be glad you did. She has the most gorgeous home, and her decorating ideas and tips are fabulous!

This week, I decided to share our guest bathroom renovation. If you've visited my blog before, you know that we began doing some renovations to our home after our darling daughter left for college. As we like to say, we figure the new stuff is safe now! The guest bath was Cait's while she lived at home. We affectionately call her "aqua girl", due to the extraordinary amount of time that she spends in the shower! Needless to say, 18 years of this had taken its toll. We basically took this room to the studs, as there was some water damage behind the tile. Also, in this day and age of "full disclosure" the before pictures were actually taken in my mom's guest bath. We were so happy to start ripping out our old bath that we never thought to take before pictures! Our bath was identical except we had nasty linoleum floors, and our lovely "faux marble" counter was green as opposed to yellow. Also, our shower has a window and the white ceramic tile covered the entire stall. Other than that, everything is identical. I guess those vanities and linen cabinets were a "builder's special", as our homes were built within a year of each other.

Old shower enclosure with white ceramic tile
New shower area - modern glass doors, new window and travertine tile
Old builder grade vanity
New modern vanity and sink. This was a steal at Home Depot - clearance floor model $99.00! It does have a scratch on the back, but I figure the wall didn't care tee hee.
Old "built in" linen closet
New linen closet. This is actually part of a wardrobe line from Ikea - it fit perfectly, but oh the little cloud of blue words while assembling this. It is almost exactly the height of the room, and the room is very small, so it went together fine but trying to squeeze it into the niche . . .
Detail of the ceiling. At the time that we redid this room, we had no idea how easy it was to remove popcorn from the ceiling, so our fix was to put beadboard up. I actually like the way it came out and it was certainly less messy.
Close up of the travertine. We used smaller tumbled travertine for the trim (also around the window in the shower area). I like the contrast of the textures.

Finished view from the hallway. My husband laughed because for the first month after we finished this he would find me in the doorway just looking at the room!

Hope you enjoyed our bathroom renovation. Now pop on over to Susan's to see all the other great before and after posts!

47 comments:

ellen b. said...

Oh I love this transformation. The travertine and the black accents are fabulous. Well done!! :0)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a difference! I love all you've done and I agree with Ellen - the black accents are so lovely!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Kathy, you know I love this bathroom and funny it seems I have coffee in here almost every morning. hehe. How neat to see different pics than I had seen before. It is such a great renovation. It is just beautiful and I love the colors you chose. Great post. Hugs, Marty

janet said...

ooooooooo so very pretty, i too have a daughter who is off to college this coming september, but still have two more teen daughters at home, so i hear you about the wear and tear. New beginning for your darling daughter and a new beginning for you. Beautiful renovation!

lvroftiques said...

Wow girlfriend! That is one beautiful job! No wonder you would just stop and stare...I know I would too! And that totally cracks me up about the "wall not caring" Lol!! Vanna

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Love this!! Great job!

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW~
This is soooo beautifuly done! LOVE IT!
The tiles and color choices are fabulous. :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Kathy..it looks so nice on your blog!! I love your sink...a real deal!! And your tile is gorgeous! But I have to laugh because it reminds me of all the times the whole crowd from Micasa has met in your bathroom for coffee! lol I was in the kitchen all by myself for months before I figured it out! Have a great week...Debbie

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I love your beautiful new bathroom. The colors are wonderful. And I love all of the new textures.

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Love your colors in the bathroom...the black accents look great! I may have to borrow some of your ideas when we get toour bathroom redos!

Susan

DesignTies said...

Great transformation, Kathy!
I really like the sink you chose!!
Victoria (one half of DesignTies)

xinex said...

Love the travertine wall and tiles and that sink is beautiful. I can't believe you only paid $99 for it. Your bathroom transformation is fab, Kathy!...Christine

santamaker said...

Huge difference. You have created such a fresh and clean look. I love it.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Wow, a gorgeous bathroom makeover. Very glamorous! I laughed at the "blue" words over assembling the IKEA piece. Last August I helped my daughter assemble an entire apartment's worth of IKEA when she moved to California for grad school. Ouch. Thanks for sharing your project, it is inspiring! Cass

Maryrose said...

Lovely transformation. I love all the elements and you are a good shopper too. The colors are so soothing, and the black accents perfect. Thanks for sharing, Maryrose

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

My bathroom vanity/wood is very similar to your before picture. We've been thinking of changing it out to a pedestal style to open up the area. Your Bathroom redo is a great transformation. It gives me hope for mine.

Sweet Wishes,
Sara

Lynda said...

What a beautiful transformation! I love how you pulled everything together for a fresh new look.

Bo said...

Wow, this room looks like something out of a magazine...it is truly gorgeous! I'd have to stand in the doorway and look too!
;-) Bo

The Bliss Journey said...

It turned out beautiful. Now your Mom is going to want to transform hers.
Kathleen

Candy said...

Crisp and clean, great trans.
Now light some candles and enjoy a bubble bath!
Candy

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That is a fantastic re-do of the bathroom. You made excellent choices and it is a big wow! Linda

Unknown said...

Great job, Kathy, I love, love, love the modern vanity! And the floor. And the linen closet...

Dawn Marie said...

oh man it sure is a huge difference. I love the color choices. I"m going to have to get me one of those shower heads, it looks so inviting.

~CC Catherine said...

Super Room Renovation! Very SMART looking! Love it! ~CC Catherine

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Good morning Kathy, thanks for the visit today.. What a beautiful transformation.. I'm still dealing with the transformation from the water pipe bursting in August..I hope to be able to show it soon.. however it won't come close to the beauty of yours..hugs ~lynne~

DesignTies said...

As I said on Micasa, your bathroom transformation is fantastic!! Espeically love the dark vanity & rectangular sink :-) And the hits of green are fresh and pretty :-)

Great job!!

Kelly (one half of DesignTies)

The Norwegian said...

What a spectacular makeover! My fave is that sink/vanity. Or is it the travertine, or the linen cabinet, or the clean new lines with black for punch...Very inspiring. Great job!

French Cupboard said...

How fulfilling for you. It looks great. My wife and I have a bathroom that needs not just the facelift but the entire remodel. But we have kids at home still - need I say more. Some day and sometime. Thanks for sharing, you really did a great job with all the choices you made. Steve -French Cupboard

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Fabulous! I love the black accents :0)

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! You need to post these photos to HGTV's rate my space. What a gorgeous bathroom. I love the colors. It has a spa feel to it now.

pammiejo said...

It looks great! You are to be congratulated for just jumping in and doing it - you did a super job! Thanks for dropping by my blog as well! PAM

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Great job! The tranformed bathroom is beautiful! laurie

Beth at Aunties said...

Isn't wonderful when the kids leave and we can play? (Actually a little too quiet at times:)
Your bathroom looks so beautiful and is so modern looking now. Lovely transformation!

Nancy Wyatt said...

Great Job, and I too would be standing at the doorway gazing!

DesignTies said...

Thanks for checking out our Met Monday post :-) Who knows where you'll find your next design inspiration!! :-)

Kelly

Paula Bee said...

I simply love black accents! Great job! Paula

Anonymous said...

WOW, what a difference in your bathroom. doesn't even look like the same one. I'm the same way about looking everyday at something new in my house. Every morning I get my coffee and sit in a different room, turing on different lights to see the effects. LOL
Thank you so much for stopping by, come back often, I love making new friends.

Hugs,
Chris

Silvia said...

Hi Kathy, thanks for visit and the wish, i'm glad you like my deer friends!.
i love your new bathroom, it's so fresh and clean and the vanity, what a find!, lucky you i never find any deals when i go to home depot.lol..ttys..x

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Good morning Kathy, I'm happy to say no reports will have to filed with OSHA..lol.. after "having" to hold onto all the files it's nice to lighten the load around here.. thanks for the visit.. have a super day.. hugs ~lynne~

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Good morning Kathy, I'm happy to say no reports will have to filed with OSHA..lol.. after "having" to hold onto all the files it's nice to lighten the load around here.. thanks for the visit.. have a super day.. hugs ~lynne~

Kathysue said...

Hi Kat it is so neat to see your bathroom piece by piece.You guys have really transformed your home in a really clean and sophisticated way.I am like Deb,remembering all the coffee I drank in your bathroom at Micasa.Well at least we were all close to the toliet,hehe.Love ya,Kathysue

Tamara Jansen said...

Hey, I recognize that picture above the toilet.....IKEA, right?

Love the re-do!

Envoy-ette said...

Amazing difference! Loved the shower doors and the ceiling most.

Kim said...

Beautiful!

Lori said...

What a great bathroom!!!
Thanks for stopping by today.. I am not looking forward to college not just yet anyway..

I will have to post my kitchen Monday.

pammiejo said...

I sure do like the way black sharpens up a room. I've never used it but am adding pieces here and there and I'm liking it. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Love reading your blog as well. PAM

sassy stephanie said...

Love it. You have great taste!